Thursday, July 31, 2008

Weekend For The Reunion

Aloha All,
Wow this summer is just flying by. Before long it will be August 2009...
How about Saturday, August 8 or 15, 2009 for the dinner part of the reunion? Have been checking into some restaurants that the family used to always go to. The Continental in Saugus on Route One has a good deal for a Saturday buffet in a private room on their second floor. I ate at the Continental last year...good food , handy and brings back some fond memories. The price is also good too. Checked out a water park...the Sheraton Ferncroft in Danvers...expensive..$300 plus a night but includes the water park usage for a family. There are of course great beaches (Revere Beach where some of us spent some summers growing up and it is historical being the first public beach in the country) in the area and hotels/motels on Route One in the Saugus area. Thinking about a typical Friday night Sabbath dinner at a shul in Malden and/or a Sunday brunch..bagels, lox smoked fishes,etc.
Okay, everyone, lets decide on a date and work from there!
Love and Much Aloha,
Cousin Karen

5 comments:

Richard Lerman said...

From Sarah Culver:

Hi everyone!

I am excited about the prospect of getting us all together next year--getting reacquainted with cousins and meeting new (or not so new!) members of the family! I hope we can find a time that works for as many of us (who are interested) as possible because I don't want to miss seeing anyone!

The weekends of August 8, 15 or even 22, should work for my family. I know it is so far away, but please share what weekends/days you think would (or would not) work best for your family, too.

A buffet dinner at the Continental sounds good (any night) to me, perhaps a Friday night dinner at shul, and Sunday brunch sounds great, too. If there is interest, I really like the idea of also having a variety of activities to choose from to allow for different chances to interact throughout the weekend. A trip to the beach and/or a harbor duck tour sounds fun for families with (younger) kids and might also appeal to many others. I've heard so much about Revere Beach and would enjoy the chance to experience it first hand with family! Playing a ball game or other games, maybe having a gathering for the younger adult--or young at heart!--crowd--I guess it is our reunion to shape. I think the water park at Sheraton Ferncroft is cost prohibitive, however. Are there ideas from current locals who know the area best today--or any wishes from those who do not visit the area much? I'd love to hear everyone's ideas and wish lists.

I hope you will feel free to "reply to all" and keep the conversation going.... Some folks might be out of town with summer vacations or otherwise busy, so perhaps we can continue talking (and wait) for about a month or so--to allow everyone interested to respond--before settling on a date for the reunion? To that end, be sure to mention your preferred dates since we'll need to start making reservations soon!

Hope all are well and enjoying the summer.

Love,
Sarah (Mildred's granddaughter)
ps When you respond, consider adding your relationship to one of the Soloman siblings to inform those who may not know--or if names have changed, etc.

Richard Lerman said...

From Ellen Covitz:

Hello to Everyone!
I second Sarah's suggestion to identify our relationship to the Solomon family for the younger generation who are not familar. I'm cousin Ellen - Uncle Doc and Aunt Mildred's youngest (although no longer young) daughter. (Louis Solomon)

I'm pretty much with Sarah on everything. Friday night dinner is optional - nice but not necessary if we can't arrange it easily enough. Revere Beach is the best! (especially if we have Biannchi's pizza for lunch); Swan Boats at the Boston Gardens and/or Duck Tour if time permits. Continental restaurant - I haven't been there in years but have such memories - that too is a good choice.

I vote for either August 8th or 15th. I'm especially looking forward to the Sunday brunch so I can introduce you all to my new husband, Arthur Rubenstein. Yes, I've gone and done it again - 3 is the charm and I think I finally have it right. Arthur and I went to High School at Malden High together and were chums as we sat outside the Agudas Achim Shul on the high holidays. He has spent the last 30 years in Israel where he has 5 children and 13 grandchildren. We've been together for 2 1/2 years and got married a few months ago in March. The fact is that Arthur is an orthodox Jew and will not be joining us for any of the Friday and Saturday events. Shabbos gets over so late in the summer, that Saturday night isn't an option either. I'm hoping we can choose someplace for brunch where there will be kosher choices for him. No worries if not - he'll just have coffee - but I am looking forward to introducing him to you all.

Also introducing you to my granddaughter Isabella Irene Lee. My daughter Jennifer and her husband Michael had this magical child (sounds like a grandmother, eh - although I'm called Nanny) 22 months ago. She'll be 2 in September. I'm so looking foward to meeting all your grandchildren - some of which I know about and many...I'm sure I don't know about.

Exchanging e-mails, plans, photo's is wonderful - I hope we're all able to participate until we meet up next August and then continue - bringing this Solomon clan back together again for good!:) Write when the mood and opportunity strikes. Would love to hear about you all.
Love,
Ellen

Richard Lerman said...

From Ellen Covitz:
P.S.
I also had the thought that we could get colored t-shirts for each family i.e. Green, obviously for all the Green family; red for the Solomon's; yellow for the Silbovitz's (I chose yellow for the sunshine of Hawaii); blue for Schneiderman; orange or purple for Epsteins. We could even go the extra mile and put the names of parents and children . I would be more than willing to look into this if people were interested. Just think - no worries of what to wear!
Love again,
Ellen

Richard Lerman said...

From Debra Gorfine:
Hi,

I'm a granddaughter to Dr. Louis and Mildred Solomon. My mother is Jeanne Solomon Gorfine, and her siblings are my Aunt Ellen, Aunt Minda, and Uncle Mark. I vote for the weekends of August 8 or 15.

I like the idea of going to shul on Friday night in Malden. Perhaps we could sponsor kiddush at the shul instead of going out to dinner on Friday night. Revere Beach and the Continental restaurant are also great ideas, full of fond memories. The only other thing I would REALLY like to see happen, is to gather at someone's house to look at old pictures and/or slides. Pictures are a great way to identify our ancestors, so we can better understand our relationship to each other. We need the current "older" generation to do this for us.

With love,
Debra

Richard Lerman said...

From Robin Gorfine:

Hi,
This is Robin Gorfine, Debra’s sister and therefore same Solomon lineage as below.

I think all of these ideas are great – it is really shaping up! I mostly have memories of Revere Beach, so would second that as one of the things to do. I like the Friday night ideas, tee shirts, etc.

All great ideas – let’s keep them flowing!

Love,
Robin